Richard Martell - Sign Language Lecturer
Office: BAC 328
Tel.: 902- 585-1275
Teaching: LANG 1113 FA01
I have 30 years experience teaching to a variety of people including educational instructors, teaching ASL/MSL, ASL Linguistic, ASL Translation, Deaf Studies and Screening, Grading/Evaluation and working with students to develop their ASL/MSL skills. Deaf Interpreter with Deaf people and interpreting students as well.
Acquired the American Sign Language Teaching Certification from the University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, while obtaining other recognized certifications:
- Provincial Instructor’s Diploma, Vancouver Community College, BC
- Sign Communication Proficiency Interviewer (SCPI) with APSEA (Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority) – 1997-1999, NS
- ASL Evaluation Trainer, York University, ON
My teaching career has taken me from one side of the country to the other. Teaching interpreter students in the ASL/English Interpretation programs at Douglas College, BC (1989-1994) and the Nova Scotia Community College (1994-1999), as well as teachig Signing Naturally Curriculum Levels 1 and 2 to upcoming signers.
- Performed as a Deaf Interpreter for Neptune Theatre for the play “Peter Pan”
- Performed as a Deaf Interpreter for Government of Nova Scotia (COVID 19)
- Performed as a Deaf Interpreter for Mass Casualty Commission